In most English sentences via an action verb,the topic performs the activity dedetailed by the verb.
You are watching: Which sentence contains a verb in the passive voice
These examples show that the subject is doingthe verb"s action.
Due to the fact that the subject does or "acts upon"the verb in such sentences, the sentences are sassist to be in the active voice.
One have the right to readjust the normal word order of manyenergetic sentences (those through a direct object) so that the subject is no much longer energetic,yet is, instead, being acted upon by the verb - or passive.
Note in these examples how the subject-verbpartnership has changed.
Since the subject is being "actedupon" (or is passive), such sentences are shelp to be in the passivevoice.
NOTE: Colorful parrots live in therainwoodlands cannot be adjusted to passive voice because the sentence does nothave a straight object.
To change a sentence from energetic to passive voice,perform the following:
1. Move the active sentence"sstraight object into the sentence"s topic slot
2. Place the energetic sentence"s subject intoa expression start with the preposition by
3. Add a kind of the auxiliary verb beto the major verb and also adjust the primary verb"s form
Because passive voice sentences necessarily addwords and also readjust the normal doer-action-receiver of action direction, they may make thereader job-related harder to understand the intfinished interpretation.
As the examples listed below illustrate, a sentencein active voice flows more smoothly and also is much easier to understand thanthe very same sentence in passive voice.
It is generally preferable to usage the ACTIVEvoice.
To readjust a passive voice sentence right into an activevoice sentence, ssuggest reverse the measures presented over.
1. Move the passive sentence"stopic right into the energetic sentence"s straight object slot
2. Remove the auxiliary verb be from the major verb and adjust primary verb"s form if needed
3. Place the passive sentence"s object of the preplace by right into the subject slot.
See more: 2694 Marilee Ln. Houston Tx 77057, 2697 Marilee Ln, Houston, Tx 77057
Due to the fact that it is even more straight, the majority of authors choose touse the energetic voice whenever possible.
The passive voice might be a much better choice,yet, whenthe doer of the action is unknown, unwanted, or unrequired in the sentence